Monday, March 16, 2009

How's the weather in there?

Hmmm...I think I shall start this blog off with some general information/statements before recounting a few recent events. Yes, that would be best.

~First, I could never drive here. Never. I think that, rather than defensive driving, they teach offensive, aggressive, reckless, crazy driving in their schools. From what I can tell, that seems like the only way to survive on the road. Not that I'm complaining...it's been an adventure. I'm just saying...I couldn't do it.

~The weather here is indeed magnificent...especially at Brian and Katherine's home in the mountains. 60s and 70s...in case you were wondering.

~I think this whole Spanish acquisition thing is going to get worse before it gets better. By the time I got home today, I didn't want to have anything to do with the Spanish language (okay, maybe that's exaggerating a little bit...). But I was definitely drained, mentally. Part of it was because I had read this 14-page document about FBA (Fundación Brazos Abiertos...or Open Arms Foundation) that was all in Spanish. I really did feel like shouting in frustration about halfway through. Please pray for me...I mean, I know it's going to get better, and overall I'm okay...I just get a little discouraged sometimes trying to interact with people.

~In reference to the title of this blog, the main building for the Foundation downtown has a section where there's no roof. It rains inside...I mean, it's not something to be repaired...it was built that way. There's a drain on the floor. It's difficult to describe it (really the whole building is very unique)...hopefully I will eventually get some pictures posted.

Okay, enough with the generalities. Yesterday I experienced my first Colombian church service. We arrived about two hours early because of some things that Brian and Katherine had to do, so I mostly sat around and felt awkward...although Katherine sat with me a lot of the time and introduced me to people here and there. The worship team practiced as we sat...it consisted of a boy (probably in early high school?) playing keyboard (using its drumbeats for percussion) and singing lead, along with two other girls singing back-up, whom I found out were his sisters. They actually sang a few Spanish versions of P&W songs from the States (like "Draw me Close" or whatever it's called).

During the actual service, people got very into the music...lots of dancing, clapping, raising of hands. They had a screen with Powerpoint for the lyrics, so I was very happy to be able to understand/sing along with all of the songs (I can read Spanish a lot better than I can understand others speaking/singing it).

I couldn't really understand one of the pastors who read Scriptures, prayed, did announcements, etc. throughout the first part of the service, partly because he was so fast, and partly because the room was noisy. There were a lot of people in that somewhat small room...mostly kids (not from the program, though). When it was time for the kids to leave the service for their own classes, between the kids and the adults who were teaching them/helping, the population of the service probably shrunk by 85%. When a different pastor came up to give the sermon. I could understand him very well (which made me exceedingly jolly)! He talked about the early church and the importance of meeting in homes, in small groups, etc....for those of you who know me and my passions....ironic, huh?

After the service, among many other introductions, I met the keyboardist, whose name is Erlin. He can speak English very well, and from a first impression, I like him a lot. Anyway, apparently people there had already been informed that I play the piano, and we talked a little bit about it. I was pretty much drafted to be a part of the worship team by the pastor who gave the sermon. Not that I really mind...I just find it somewhat amusing. Brian and Katherine had warned me about these sort of drafts that occur throughout the Foundation...and told me that I need to learn to be able to say no, or else I'll always be busy. I can already see the truth in this. But I think that this worship team thing will probably be a great experience. They're really just getting started, it seems, and it looks like anyone who wants to be in some way involved (even if they don't have musical abilities), can. I may be helping teach a few kids to play the piano...I think that will really be a blessing.

Man...I'm really hoping that it's just the newness of everything that's compelling me to write so much detail. This is time-consuming. I'm going to skip the rest of yesterday.

This morning, Brian and I, along with two other American volunteers, Ben and Jennifer, went to the girl's house to take part in a time of prayer, worship, and fasting. We prayed over all of the girls who were there. I was brought to tears as we asked the Lord to help these girls overcome the strongholds in their lives by the power of the Spirit. I learned a lot today about what some of these girl's former lives had been like, and what they're still going through now...and...well, I don't know if I feel right sharing it here, for several reasons. I mean, I'm sure most of you have heard similar stories before through a variety of sources...it's just a whole different experience to see their faces. To hear their voices. Please pray, not only for these girls, but for the staff & volunteers, that through them the girls would be able to know intimately the love that Christ has for them....and that they would allow that love to transform them.

--------------------------

From this point on, I thinking I'm going to start blogging a lot less frequently...maybe once, possibly twice a week...and simply picking out highlights of the week. I've already had to leave out a ton, in just this short time, and it has taken up a lot of time that really should have been devoted to sleep. Therefore, please hold me accountable. No more than two blogs a week.


Good night.

3 comments:

  1. How could I ever hold you accountable to only two blogs a week?? :-) You can post every day if you like! Truly, though, get the rest you need. I'll pray for your Spanish...and the ministry, and the girls, and your keyboard worship team experience!! Sounds awesome!! Keep it coming!!

    Love you!

    Are you checking your email? I sent you one with a small group update, and I had some stuff I wanted to tell you not on here, so shoot me one back if you are checking it....

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE IT! Nick, I am so thrilled for you. I'm obsessed with this blog. I tried like 9 times to post on the last one, but for some reason it wouldn't let me. Praying for you. Love and live every moment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Nick - I'm with your mom, I say post everyday!! However will I live vicariously through you with only 2 posts a week and highlights - not details!??!! Oh well, you'll just have to save your breath to tell me all about it in June when you come back - so don't forget anything - nothing - okay!?!? Glad to hear all is well - praying for you and for the kids that you're serving!

    Love ya!
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete