Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Tres días...

Three days.

Three days from this time, I will have been in Colombia for about four hours, God willing. 

I've told this to everyone who has asked me about the trip, but it still just hasn't really hit me yet that I'm going to a foreign country with a foreign language for three months. It's not that I'm not excited, because I definitely am (!!!), but I don't really feel much different overall than I normally do. I think part of it is because I've been so busy lately, and part of it is because the whole thing happened so fast. I mean, I found out I was officially going about a month before departure! 

Yesterday I went to visit the kids at Oak Forest UMC's after-school program, where I have worked various times in the past (and where I plan to work this summer). They decided to do a fundraiser for me a little while back, and between them and the church, they raised about $200!! I really wasn't expecting that much, so it was a great surprise/blessing. They had sort of a "going-away" party for me and presented the money like so...


And here are all of us together. Well, not all of us...some kids were absent and some had left already. Most of us...


And a goofy one...


 I love those kids so much. 

Really, I just love kids.

Which brings me back to Colombia. I want to give a preliminary THANK YOU(!!!!!) to everyone who has supported me in this trip either through prayer or financial contributions. I have received well over what my target was...really, more than I ever dreamed I would receive. I'll have plenty to bless the kids, the ministry, and Jesus with while down there.

I would love for any praying person who reads this to say some for me! The main thing, above all else (including safe travels), that I would like for people to pray is that Jesus will remain central to my life while down there...that this trip would be about Him, not me. I would also love for people to pray that my language acquisition would be fast and "unstressful."

And with that, I believe I shall return to the task of finishing this video for the "Renewed" women's conference, which is starting to stress me out a bit. While you're at it, pray for that.

Oh, and I will post my mailing address as soon as I get it!

Love, grace & peace,
Nick

---------------------------------

For anyone who has yet to read about the organization with which I'm working, here is a link to their brochure (in PDF format):
http://www.perrow.org/missions/OAFbrochure.pdf


3 comments:

  1. I am very proud of you and excited for you!! With the chain of events leading to the trip, I know as surely as I'm sitting in this chair that you are supposed to go on this trip. You know already you will have many "Mama" prayers!! I love you! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. YEE HAWWW!! So proud of u and the other young people who dedicate their life to Jesus. And also for what u r doing for those children in Colombia! U will be in our prayers and u will do great!!!
    Tanya and family

    ReplyDelete
  3. these pictures are so precious! i am SO excited for you! even though i will miss you a TON, i'm so thrilled that you are getting to have such an incredible adventure! i'm sure i will be posting a lot, so no need to read if you have limited internet time. you have to hear me talk enough in real life. : P love you!

    ReplyDelete